Today we welcome our newest designer, Vectorcloud. We've been following Vectorcloud for over a year now, waiting for the perfect moment to bring them over to Apt528. I'm a sucker for anything mid-century so their retro-styled bamboo desk and wall clocks immediately caught my eye. But my current Vectorcloud favorite has to be the custom engraved, wood floppy disk coasters. The 80's-inspired coasters are perfect for keeping for yourself or giving to friends as a personalized housewarming/wedding gift.
Now it's time to get to know Amelia, the woman behind Vectorcloud, with a little Q+A.
1) We always start with the good stuff. So, if you could die your hair any color under the sun, what would it be? Hmm. Purple has always been one of my favorite colors. My hair has always been black, but a little highlight of purple may be cool.
2)What design trends are your most and least favorites?I'm currently loving all the retro inspired patterns and color blocking. I'm very glad that big shoulder pads never made a return.
3) Everyone has a favorite room or piece of furniture. What's yours? I love our danish inspired hutch. It was actually left behind by the previous tenant, which makes it even better :D
4) How did you get started in woodwork and laser-cutting in particular? I took woodworking when I was at Parsons studying product design. I'm always fascinated with furniture especially wood. One time I worked at a non-profit organization, teaching kids how to use CAD programs and all the different design projects that you can create using CNC router and laser machines. I became very familiar with the process and was inspired to start a line of products myself.
5) Vectorcloud's such a neat name. Where'd it come from? Does it have a special meaning? I wanted a name that gives a little insight of what I do, yet at the same time, doesn't sound too serious or 'techy'. Vector is a type of drawing that I have to create to run the machine and cloud just sound so 'light and playful'.
6) What's your favorite thing to watch or listen to while you work? Because I work from my home studio, I usually watch my son play while I'm working on the computer.
7) Your designs are so neat and fresh but with a retro spin. Do you consider yourself a mid-century lover? What's your favorite design period? Definitely. My work is very much inspired by mid-century design. I love how wood was utilized and transformed into beautiful furniture during that period of time.
8) What's next for Vectorcloud? Any new products on the horizon? At the moment, half of my work is based on custom orders and I am exploring the different ways I can expand that. I'm looking into wedding decorations among others.